World Water DAy
But still we are wasting water, using drinking water in our toilets and treating it as if it would be endless accessible.
When you talk about the amount of water used by one European person per day you can often read the 130 litres per day for drinking, washing and cooking. It doesn`t seem that much. But this number is not correct. For the food production for one European person per day 2000 to 5000 litres water are necessary.
Already 15 000 litres of water are used for the production of one kilogram beef.
While we are 7 billion people at our earth at the moment and probably will be 9 billion in 2050 we have to find out how to produce more food with less water. At the same time 30% of the world wide food production gets wasted every year.
What does that mean for the normal person like you and me? How can we save water?
- Eat vegetarian or eat less meat!
- Check your pipes and toilets for leaks!
- Take shorter showers!
- Turn off the water while brushing your teeth or shaving!
- Fully load your dishwasher and wash full loads of clothes!
- Water your garden in the morning or in the evening!
- Don`t wash your car with a hose!
- Never use your toilet as a wastebasket!
- Rinse dishes in a full sink!
So all of us have to start NOW!
By Vera Lennartz