Although Spain is a developed country, perhaps it is not so much in terms of equality and gender rights, as we can observe in the following data:
- There are more employed men despite the fact that there are more women in the Spanish population. Moreover, there are more unemployed women than men, despite being better trained.
- The tasks of home and childcare are still in the hands of women.
- In the boards of directors and in the management committees of the companies, there are many more men than women.
- The woman takes care of the babies, although the man has the same right. Caring for newborns can be an obstacle in the career of many working mothers
- Salary gap: Men earn on average almost 6,000 euros more than women.
- Men with a university degree are placed before women with the same title
- In 2018, 47 women died at the hands of their partners, leaving 39 children under the age of orphans. Ascending to 125,233 complaints of gender violence.
- In November 2018, VioGen (System for monitoring cases of Gender Violence of the Government) had 57,096 active cases registered: 16 are extreme risk, 183 high and 5,478 medium
- The vast majority of girls feel scared when walking at night alone on the street, or should warn someone when they get home.
These are some of the facts by which we can say that we are not in an egalitarian society and for this, the 8M will fill the streets again.
Despite being a feminist strike, a large part of the male population also joined, since it is not that we are demanding to be superior to men, we only demand to have the same rights, be free and change that role that women acquired throughout history, because we are in the XXI century and times change, as society advances and women also.
We will support the 8M to fight against each of the injustices that we live daily, against the patriarchy society that reproduces inequality, against sexual, workplace harassment, against machism, against patriarchal justice...
We will shout for all those women who have been subjected to violence of gender and have been silenced, to not to be one more;
We will demand for those who years ago did it for us;
We will require for the future generations won’t have the same problem.
We will fight for a non-discriminatory and egalitarian education, for to have the same rights and opportunities, to stop the obstacles that hinder our professional and personal development ...
And we will continue fighting and claiming, because together we can.
For all this and more, this 8M will stop Spain, because we no longer have fears, because the empowerment of women is possible, and because not anyone could silence us.
So do not stand still, all of us are the society.
- INE Data